A Brief History of the York County Court House

Posted on 08/08/10 No Comments

For 250 years, York was home to a building named the York County Court House.  The first courthouse stood in Centre Square and hosted the Second Continental Congress.  The second courthouse was located on East Market Street and hosted an unwelcome visitor: the Army of Northern Virginia.  The third courthouse was constructed on the site of its predecessor, and was greatly renovated and expanded in 1957 before closing in 2004.  This presentation gives an overview of all these buildings, architectural highlights, and key events in their history.  Scott spoke about courts buildings at the dedication of the York County Administrative Center and recently compiled a comprehensive research document, A Brief History of the York County Court House.  In addition, he coordinated the creation of The Evolution of the York County Court House exhibit in the third-floor rotunda of the York County Administrative Center.

Scott previously gave a version of this presentation as keynote speaker at the dedication of the York County Administrative Center.